Michael J. Ash, CRE, joined Carlin & Ward in 2019.
Mr. Ash's areas of practice include Litigation, Redevelopment Law, Real Estate, and Municipal Law specializing in real estate value litigation, specifically, eminent domain and real estate tax appeals.
The majority of Mr. Ash's practice focuses on infrastructure planning and implementation where his work includes the coordination of property assemblage for right of way corridors, utility projects and roadway improvements. His work includes counseling to private and public entities with regard to due diligence and property valuation for the procurement of purchase and sale agreements, right of entry permits, temporary workspace licenses, and easements, for partial and full takings. The coordination of property acquisition for linear projects requires Mr. Ash to collaborate with experts in various disciplines including real estate appraisers, engineers, planners and environmental consultants.
The public projects require Mr. Ash to counsel clients in the use of eminent domain to acquire property and clear title.
Mr. Ash is a trial attorney handling all aspects of condemnation valuation jury trials, commissioner hearings and tax appeals in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division, Appellate Court, Tax Court, Supreme Court and United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and Southern District of New York.
In 2018 Mr. Ash was awarded the CRE® designation by the Counselors of Real Estate®, an international group of real estate professionals recognized as leading advisors in complex real property matters with approximately 1,000 members worldwide, of which only about 50 are practicing attorneys.
In 2018, Mr. Ash was appointed to the Planning Board of the Town of Westfield, where he resides.
Prior to joining Carlin & Ward in 2019, Mr. Ash was a partner with DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP in the Real Estate Practice Group.
Areas Of Practice
- Eminent Domain
- New Jersey, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2004
- New York, 2008
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2015
- New England School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 2004
- Rutgers University
- B.A. - 2001
- Major: Political Science
- "Takings for Pipeline Projects Are Subject to Challenge by Property Owners to Ensure Public Benefits" , Westlaw Environmental Journal , Volume 37, Issue 24, 2017
- "Laws, Regulations and Related Policy" a chapter in "A Guide to Parking", International Parking Institute, Spring, 2018
- Featured Quarterly Columnist on issues related to Law and Real Estate for the "The Parking Professional", International Parking Institute
- State of New Jersey, by Department of Environmental Protection v. N. Beach 1003, LLC, 451 N.J. Super. 214 (App. Div. 2017)
- M-C Properties Co. Rlty (Mack-Cali) v. Cranford Township, Tax Court (June 2, 2017)
- County of Essex v. Rubin, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, August 02, 2017 (WL 3271931)
- City of Newark v. ORR Investments, Inc., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, August 02, 2017 (WL 3271931)
- New Jersey Turnpike Authority v. Milford Realty Associates, LLC Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, August 24, 2017 (WL 3623148)
- New Jersey Transit Corporation v. Franco, 447 N.J.Super. 361 (2016)
- Texas Eastern Transmission, LLP v. 9.41845 Acres of Land, In the City of Jersey City, cv-12-3499-SRC-CLW (April 1, 2015)
- Marina District Development Co., LLC v. City of Atlantic City, 27 N.J.Tax 469 (2013)
- County of Essex v. Rubin, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division. June 24, 2011 (WL 2496222)
- New Jersey Turnpike Authority v. Witt, Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division. July 15, 2010 (WL 2795077)
- Borough of Somerville v. Pathmark Stores, Inc., Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, June 24, 2008 (WL 2492252)
- Instructor, “Redevelopment Training Institute”, Case Law Update, New Jersey Redevelopment Authority, 2013 to 2013
- Faculty, Eminent Domain Update, Relocation Assistance, CLE International, 2014 to 2014
- Panel Speaker, Princeton Conference , Appraisal Institute NJ Metro Chapter, 2014, 2017
- Panel Speaker, Easement Valuation, International Right of Way Association, 2015 to 2015
- Co-presenter, Tree Valuation in Temporary Takings, International Right of Way Association, 2018 to 2018
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Eminent Domain, New Jersey Super Lawyers
- Awardee, CRE Designation, Counselors of Real Estate
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Westfield Planning Board, Member
- Counselors of Real Estate
- International Right of Way Association, New Jersey Chapter 15, Executive Committee, Member
- International Right of Way Association, New Jersey Chapter 15, Planning Committee, Co-Chair
Past Employment Positions
- DeCotiis, FitzPatrick, Cole & Giblin, LLP, Partner
Pro Bono Activities
- New Jersey Parking Institute, General Counsel
- REX - Real Estate Executives, Jewish Federation, Member